Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 20th

We had two mini lessons on February 20th, one on quizzing software, and another on Zamzar file converters. Hot Potatoes is free software that helps teachers or employers build quizzes and crossword puzzles. I like that you can imbed the links to your quizzes into Powerpoint presentations. I downloaded the Mac version, Java Hot Potatoes, so that I could spend some time experimenting with it and try it out for myself.

I attempted to make an “Art Materials” crossword puzzle that would be appropriate for elementary school students. Hot Potatoes does not provide any directions, making it a trial and error process. I saved the crossword to my desktop, but the file wouldn’t open which was frustrating. I like the idea of quiz-creating software, but if it isn’t intuitive and doesn’t allow you to open the saved file it is not practical.

Hotpotatoes - http://hotpot.uvic.ca/

Zoomerang is a website that helps you create surveys. The basic version is free, while the Pro is $199/year, and the Premium is $599/yr. The basic version allows you to start with a blank survey, choose an existing template or import a survey if you have the Pro edition. I opted for the Edu/Academic template, but the only free one was a “student satisfaction survey.” I am impressed with the layout of the website, it is modern and easy to use. The questions were realistic, but this survey would be best suited for college level courses. I would certainly consider using Zoomerang to create surveys of my own, but I would probably have to start with a blank survey so that I could tailor it specifically to my classes. A survey might be helpful after doing a new project for the first time, in order to get feedback from the students. Student feedback will help teachers tailor and alter it for future use.

Zoomerang - http://www.zoomerang.com/free-account-surveys/

We learned about zamzar a website that converts files. Working in Admissions for the Art School I review students digital portfolio submissions, and often times students submit files to me that I cannot open. Occasionally I will receive video/movie files that don’t appear to be compatible with my Mac. I am excited to try out this software to see if it will help me convert the files into readable ones.

Zamzar - http://www.zamzar.com/

George offered an extra credit lesson on wiki’s. I like the idea of a wiki being collaborative and editable by multiple people, create a give and take online environment. Teachers can utilize wiki’s in their classroom, and can add students to the list of editors and writers allowing them to post and edit. It is important to set up clear rules and a grading rubric so students know exactly what is expected of them. Students should be aware of the following when using a wiki: appropriate language, frequency of posting, length/depth of content, accuracy, grammar, respect, and purpose. On George’s geometry wiki his students add images, links and definitions for mathematical terms.

I spent time starting a wiki page of my own using wikispaces. I decided to focus on putting together an art portfolio for college admission. I am offering tips and suggestions intended for high school art students (and their parents/teachers) looking to continue their studies at art school. I can use this wiki in the classroom, and I believe it will be a great resource to share ideas, questions, artwork, and suggestions. I look forward to further developing my wiki and using it in my own classroom.

http://brittnybadger.wikispaces.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment